- A projector displaying a montage of Ciara’s videos flashed on the screen during the intro of her concert at the AT&T NFC Rally in Washington, D.C. CiCi then stormed the stage and opened with “I’m Out,” sans Nicki Minaj.
- Riddick dethrones Lee Daniel’s The Butler for the No. 1 spot at the Box Office. The Vin Diesel-starring flick, which features an appearance by singer Keri Hilson, opened with $18.7 million.
- X Factor rejects Fifth Harmony are the true breakout stars from season 2. The five, harmonizing starlets feel that they’re Better Together, so they’re packaging that concept into an EP that is being released on October 22nd.
- Remember Mandisa, the gospel powerhouse of season 5 of American Idol? Her fourth album, Overcomer, debuted at No. 1 on the Christian Albums chart.
- R. Kelly held a listening session for his forthcoming album, Black Panties, and revealed that it would hit stores on 11.11.
- Rihanna took a picture with her presumed frenemy Nicki Minaj. The “Pour It Up” singer is also rocking a new hairstyle she’s calling “ghetto goth,” so you know what that means.
- Jhené Aiko’s arm is in a sling due to injuries caused by a car accident, but like Mariah Carey, it didn’t hinder the sweet-voiced singer from looking flawless while posing with her good friend Childish Gambino for a picture.
- Lil’ Wayne obviously has a thing for “Miss Katie” Couric. The 30-year-old rapper spoke on doing hard time and dropping out of high school during a sit-down for her talk show, which is scheduled to air Monday, September 9th.
- Mario’s relationship with his manager’s ex-girlfriend was such a “Fatal Distraction,” the 27-year-old singer packaged his thoughts into a moody, sensual song.
- JoJo is so damn cool and talented. Like the top comment on the video of her “Anything” performance with Casey Veggies, I really hope she wins her lawsuit.
These days, a video release from JoJo is highly doubted due to a limbo with her spiteful label, Blackground. To our surprise, the 22-year-old powerhouse unveiled the visual for “Andre“–the 3 Stacks-inspired record from her latest mixtape, Agápē.
Leah Labelle and Karina Pasian make cameos in the Embryo-directed video, shot in Los Angeles at The Hive Gallery & Studios. Read More
Despite not having programming to endorse the assertion, BET claims music still matters. They held their pre-Grammy BET Music Matters Showcase last evening in Los Angeles. The place was filled with fresh talent!
Elle Varner experienced some technical difficulties while playing her Grammy-nominated single “Refill.” She filled the time by shouting out her fellow performers, RaVaughn Brown, Stacy Barthe, Leah Labelle and Marsha Ambrosius. Read More
While highly successful and extremely popular singers Chris Brown and Frank Ocean were fighting over a single Los Angeles parking space, JoJo, an underexposed talent whose career is being stifled by her record label, endured a 14-hour shoot for “André” at The Hive Gallery & Studios and other L.A. locations.
The song, inspired by the mystic half of Outkast, is lifted from her Agápē mixtape, which she released in commemoration of her 22nd birthday. Read More
Jojo, singer/songwriter and the industry’s unmarred secret weapon, has stood before us as an artist for many years, in many forms. We’ve witnessed her matriculate through tween “love”, teenage heartbreak and rebellion, juvenile angst/bliss to womanhood.
Her story pans out like a coming-of-age film, but those usually trace what happens after the sorrow, struggle or fight. Well Joanna, still in the midst of her tumultuous relationship with her record label (Blackground Records), adversely crafted a warming “labor of love” and gifted it to fans in digital form. She does not disappoint. Read More
While fans eagerly await JoJo’s “Demonstrate” video, the ambitious singer continues entertaining crowds with the sensual tune. Last evening was no different. JoJo, along with Leah Labelle, performed before a live audience at Los Angeles’ Roxy Theatre. Watch below as she enthralls the crowd with “Demonstrate” and “Andre,” both of which are included on her upcoming Agápē mixtape. Read More
JoJo’s rage against ugly Hollywood has never sounded more beautiful. The young wildheart has crafted a sonic experience, titled Agápē (Greek term for “unconditional love”), in the form of a mixtape and upon first listen, has launched incredibly with new single, “We Get By“.
The Boston vocalist rides the soulfully sleek production, telling tales of transitioning from Boston to L.A., dealing with “Hollywood bullsh*t” and the art of fighting to be an artist. Hear it now! Read More
As taunting as it is, we’ve silently witnessed JoJo‘s promising career suffer at the hands of industry puppeteers. Powerful vocals (see range, control and live interpretations), an obviously humble personality and sheer beauty couldn’t put an end to the limbo she’s unwillingly played over the years; her last album, The High Road, was released in 2006.
Staying afloat the best way she knows how, the Boston-bred singer/songwriter has revealed that she’s providing solace for her bevy of anticipating fans with a fresh mixtape. Read More